History of the Black and Indian Mission Collection
Evangelization and 125 years of service among the Black, Indian, Eskimo and Aleute communities has been the singular purpose of the Black and Indian Mission Collection.
Established in 1884, the Black and Indian Mission Office supervises the Collection – the only annual appeal mandated by the Third Plenary Council – and distributes these funds as diocesan grants.
“The support we receive makes it possible to provide much needed assistance and resources to our American Indian brothers and sisters.” Bishop Peter F. Christensen, Diocese of Superior
Through the years, the funds from the annual appeal have been responsible for continuing the Church’s faithful in supporting the evangelization needs of the Black and Native American communities in the United States. Each year, Ordinaries appeal to the Black and Indian Mission Office for help in the tasks of parish support and evangelization. It is only through the constant generosity of Church members toward the Collection that such efforts are realized.
The Collection takes place in Catholic churches throughout the United States on the first Sunday of Lent. You can receive a reminder e-mail prior to the Collection, by registering with the Black and Indian Mission Office here.
National Black and Indian Collection Photo Archive: