The Catholic Negro-American Mission Board is an evangelization and fundraising organization established in 1907.
As part of the Black and Indian Mission collection, which is taken up in parishes annually, the Catholic Negro-American Mission Board provides funds to support evangelization efforts among African Americans.
First called the “Catholic Board for Mission Work Among the Colored People” the organization was renamed in 1970. In 1980 the Mission Board was relocated to Washington, D.C.
The bishops of the Catholic Church in times past, made zealous endeavors to spread the Catholic Faith among African Americans. Two councils of Baltimore, in burning words, urge work among African Americans. The Second Plenary Council implored priests “as far as they can to consecrate their thoughts, their time and themselves, wholly and entirely, if possible, to the service” of African Americans. The want of men and means has much hampered the work.
A commission established by the Third Plenary Council of Baltimore for the Catholic missions among the African and indigenous peoples, to raise and distribute the funds collected for this purpose annually throughout the United States. The incorporation by the hierarchy in 1907 was designed to foster a missionary spirit among Catholics.
Mother Katharine Drexel, canonized in 1980, was a champion of African American outreach efforts and missionary work. Her legacy lives on through the continued activities of the Catholic Negro American Mission Board.
Catholic Negro-American Mission Board Photo Archive: